We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Ipomea indica is a very pretty climbing plant with generous and spectacular flowering.
While it can be invasive, ipomea is low maintenance and will quickly satisfy you, whether in the garden or on the patio.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Ipomea indica
Family : Convolvulaceae
Type : Climbing plant, annual
Height : 3 to 6 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Rich enough
Foliage : Obsolete
Flowering : June to November
Although persistent in the tropics, ipomea is cultivated here as an annual and therefore will not grow back from year to year.
Perform a sowing under shelter from March, transplant in April and plant from May in a mixture of soil, potting soil and organic amendment.
- To do soak the seeds in lukewarm water for 1 hour before sowing in order to accelerate emergence
- Can also sow directly in the ground from mid-May but flowering will take place much later which is a shame for an annual plant
- Place the ipomea indica in a sunny place
- Place the ipomea next to a living space such as a terrace in order to take full advantage of its beautiful flowering
Cultivation of ipomea in pots:
The cultivation of ipomea in pots is quite possible and even interesting to decorate a terrace or balcony.
- Choose a pot of sufficient diameter (About 30 cm)
- Make sure the pot is well drilled at the bottom and ideally put a bed of clay balls at the bottom
- Then fill the pot with soil for flowering plants
- Water as soon as the soil is dry on the surface without flooding the plant
Size and maintenance of an ipomea
The ipomea has the advantage of being very easy and therefore requires very little maintenance.
Size of ipomea:
No pruning is necessary as the ipomea only lasts a year.
If, however, it becomes invasive, you can easily cut a few stems as needed.
Watering the ipomea:
Ipomea should be watered regularly, especially in hot weather.
Mulching at the base helps keep moisture in after watering and therefore limits the number of waterings ...
Things to know about ipomea
The growth of this plant is extremely fast: it can even reach 3 to 6 meters in a few weeks.
It has the advantage of being talkative and therefore of fixing itself on the trellis, fence, tree or arbor that it will literally embrace.
Its flowering is generous and its flowers form pretty trumpets. They have a fairly short lifespan but are constantly being renewed.
Regular but limited watering is recommended during flowering.
Smart tip about ipomea
Make sure to water in the evening to limit evaporation and therefore preserve water, which is a scarce resource.